Saturday, September 26, 2009

I am here

I am here, just rolled in. Man the trip was long but we made it. I am wasn't all able to see anything since it was dark. But I will take pictures in the morning. I met a lot of very nice people along the way, even some experienced travelers that helped me get through.

The flight was a mear 9-10 hours from Chicago to London, then with a 12 hour lay over I made my flight to Nairobi, that was also about 8 hours. I have always been amazed at air travel, how someone can get on a jet and then in 8 hours just be at their destination. Many of you knew this but I thought I would mention, that I was flying solo on this trip due to a generous donation by my in laws. It was lonely, but worked out just fine.
This is the group, I was really happy to see familiar faces.

This is our group at the Mennonite Guest House in Nairobi. The sleeping arrangement and accomidations were great.
This is Sunday morning, we had a lot of things to put in a small van and make the trek 4 hours to Tenwek. Our driver Gerald was very entertaining, he was a great guide and a lot of fun. He said last year, the journey would have taken 6 hours, due to road improvements there is only about 3km that remains dirt.
Here is a picture of "Phillip" the strapping young man above is Nathan this is the son of Malik and Ann Nouri (Anesthesia MD, that saved our trip).
Nathan I became pretty good friends. WE have a lot in common, ELECTRONICS!









This picture is from the Rift Valley, this was on our way to Bomet and to Tenwek.

This was pretty breathtaking. The road down into the Rift valley was hardly breathtaking, but more like it took my breath away as I looked down a raven to our left and a mountain to our right with no shoulder and a lot of big trucks making a very slow decent.


4 comments:

Karen and June said...

First step complete...
many more adventurous ones to come.
We wish you joy and satisfaction on you journey as your give to others.
Please keep us posted on you progress

kathy brasher said...

glad you made it okay. I asked my small group to keep you in their prayers as I am also. I am so proud of you guys and honored and blessed to work with such amazing people. Enjoying your blog. take care Kathy

Family said...

Andy!

I am so glad you made it ok and all is well. I will have to make you cry now though. You beautiful Rebecca bore her testimony this morning (as you might have heard)and it was with tears and so much heart felt spirit. She is such an angel. Be safe.

Jen said...

What a sweet blessing to see the love and prayer of friends and neighbors. Be safe, I love you.